Armless Pilot Licensed To Fly

And a Filipino Too!

By Willy Balasa

October 14, 2011

JESSICA Cox, the Filipino-American first licensed armless pilot and Guinness World record holder, is in the country for a vacation.

Cox, 28, arrived at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport Sunday early morning Sunday on board a Philippine Airlines flight from the United States.

She will spend a month long vacation to see her family and relatives where her mother, Inez, hails from Bobon, Samar.

In a brief interview, she said that, "I can understand a little bit [Visayan dialect]. I'm going to visit the family, but I don't speak it very much".

"My right foot is on the yoke, and my left foot is on the throttle. I use both feet, and I don't have special equipment. I just fly the plane," she said, describing how she flies a plane.

The Fil-Am pilot also described  flying  as  like a butterfly in the sky and added that it’s a big challenge being physically-challenged.

Cox is also fond of gymnastics, swimming, and martial art. She holds a double black belt in taekwondo.

"I think it's an example of what other people can achieve as well. If I can fly an airplane, everyone else can do what they want to do. Sometimes we limit ourselves with our own perceptions," she said.

Cox  has a message for Filipinos: "Every one of us has a challenge, whether it's physical, psychological, or emotional. We all have our challenges, but we also have a choice whether to let it stand in the way, or allow it to give us an opportunity to succeed. All of us has that option. The choice is yours." 

No comments:

Post a Comment